Custom CNC Celtic Cross and 2 Bases from Basswood
Objective: To create a custom Celtic Cross and 2 bases to support the Celtic cross and statue. These 2 will be displayed side by side in the lobby of a school building in a glass case.
- Made out of Basswood to match the wood of the statue
- Aura of the cross should be about the same height as Jesus's head
- Mounted securely to the bases
- Cross should be easily removable from the base so the cross can also be hung on the wall as well
- The angle of the bases should match the angle of the cross
- Chisel marks on the aura of the cross
First I design the cross in the CNC design software VCarve Pro:
Also also designed the bases in Sketchup:
After some tweaks we agreed on the final design.
Next up is cutting up the boards of Basswood and glue up a blank for the cross:
I always try to do my glue ups at the end of the day so I can leave them overnight. That way the glue has plenty of time to set.
Now it's time to cut the design on the CNC machine:
The bases angle in back to front and side to side and match the angle of the Celtic Cross. They have a metal bar that will hold the cross and the statue:
The client also wanted a chiseled aura on the cross, so that's what I did. Here's the final result after it's all oiled up:
Here are a few closeups of the chisel marks of the aura of the Celtic Cross: